Thing Trunk is a small game development studio and a creative team behind Return 2 Games - a series of original mid-core games inspired by the golden days of PC gaming. The first installment, Book of Demons, was a smash hit on Steam.
The the studio was founded by 3 guys, who are known for engineering their games to their fullest: Maciej Biedrzycki (co-founder of Codeminion), Konstanty Kalicki, and Filip Starzyński (founders of Twinbottles). Having created many successful games at their previous companies (most notably Saqqarah, Magic Match, Brunhilda, Phantasmat) and a few unintended flops (let’s not put the names here) they quickly became disappointed with the miring trends in the casual games market. They scrapped their former brands and together founded Thing Trunk to focus solely on the ambitious Return 2 Games idea.
Return 2 Games Manifesto — YouTube
Return 2 Games Teaser — YouTube
Book of Demons Reveal Trailer — YouTube
Book of Demons is available on Steam Early Access! — YouTube
Logo & Icon
The concept behind the Return 2 Games seven-part retrological makes me want to love it even more.Josh Vanderwall, The Escapist
Over the course of the next 12 years, Kalicki and Starzynski taught over 300 students how to make games, some (but not all) of whom went on to found their own companies or work at one of the major Polish game developers, like CD Projekt Red or Techland.Russ Pitts, Polygon
- Return 2 Games Manifesto
- It’s not easy for us to explain the whole spectrum of emotions that, over the years, have built inside us and later became the foundation for R2G. So, we’ve decided to present it in a different way – an animated manifesto. thingtrunk.com.
- Revealing your game can be a nightmare - an emotional postmortem of Book of Demons announcement
- Imagine for a moment that one day in your life you had an idea. The greatest idea of your life. And then suddenly, after a few years of hard, sometimes impossible work, you realize that you are quite close and you gain confidence in yourself. There’s just one problem – the last obstacle in your way is marketing, something different from the ones you tackled. Something you dreaded for all these years and foolishly hoped it wouldn’t come. It’s just like an almost impossible-to-beat end boss in a game and you just have one heart left… thingtrunk.com.
- Defining Mid-core games and why they matter
- There is a lot of fuss about mid-core games and even debate if the term itself should exist in the first place. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s all about, please seat comfortably, enjoy a nice hot mug of tea and spare a couple of minutes reading our post about our definition of mid-core games. thingtrunk.com.
- What is the R2G Supporter's Bundle?
- If you’ve seen Book of Demons, our game, you might have come across an information that it’s the first instalment in the Return 2 Games series. You might also have noticed that apart from purchasing the game for ca. $20, you can opt to pay more and become an official R2G Supporter. But what does it exactly mean? thingtrunk.com.
- Return 2 Games Music Theme - Live orchestra on an indie budget
- So basically, you pay a 100 bucks, and get a 7 minute professional recording of a live orchestra playing your music. As you can probably guess, we were instantly sold on the idea. We really didn’t know what to expect, but we wanted to try it out. thingtrunk.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
- Filip Starzyński
- Co-Founder / Producer / Future Sax Virtuoso
- Konstanty Kalicki
- Co-Founder / Senior Programmer / Creative Person
- Maciej Biedrzycki
- Co-Founder / Chief Game Architect / Strategy Overseer
- Krzysztof Rutkowski
- Programmer and Linux enthusiast
- Adam Mirkowski
- Game designer and the creative soul of our team
- Mateusz Śliwakowski
- Programmer and console port fighter
- Małgorzata Jesionowska
- Producer. Content creator. Support. Feeds on functional bugs
- Magda Leszczyńska
- The first half of the art department...
- Krzysztof Hain
- ... and the second part of the art department