Based in Warsaw, Poland
Steam Early Access - July 28th 2016
Book of Demons is hack & slash distilled to its purest form. Devilishly charming and fun as hell. Slay the armies of darkness in the dungeons below the Old Cathedral and save the terror-stricken Paperverse from the clutches of the Archdemon himself. The game is the first installment of the Return 2 Games series - a series of original mid-core titles, inspired by the early golden days of PC gaming. Book of Demons is currently available on Steam Early Access and will be launch on Xbox One as an console exclusive.
- Decide the length of levels! Have only 5 minutes for a game? No problem! Book of Demons allows you to set the length of each level, thanks to our Flexiscope™ system. It learns your way of playing and gives you the best experience, making Book of Demons the first truly accessible hack & slash!
- Build your own deck of devastating skills. Collect powerful skill cards, combine them depending on the enemies you're facing and assemble your favorite set of devastating powers. Efficiency of each card will greatly depend on the situation you're in, so be prepared to make constant adjustments.
- Relive the classic with a good laugh. Book of Demons is a universal tale of good and evil about saving the world from total destruction and ultimate devilry. Sounds familiar? Well, how about retelling the story in a different way, with a humorous twist of a parody?
- Be a part of a one-of-a-kind adventure. Never explore the same dungeon twice - in Book of Demons every level is a procedurally generated, randomly-populated adventure of its own. You won't get bored by the diversity of monsters either - there are over 70 kinds of creatures waiting to be slain: lurking scorpions, snake archers, mad goatmen, not-so-sexy succubi... you get the idea.
- Hack and slash in the world of Paperverse. Book of Demons is indeed a dark fantasy hack and slash, but unlike other action role-playing games, it's set in the pop-up book world of Paperverse. The paper-cut universe is one of the hallmarks of Return 2 Games - a series of mid-core games, inspired by the early golden days of PC gaming. Actually, Book of Demons is the first installment of the Return 2 Games series.
- Slaying the Archdemon won't be the end of the story. In Book of Demons, you can master the campaign with 3 different classes (Warrior, Rogue or Mage), replay your favorite quests in Freeplay mode or rise to the challenge and explore the dungeons on higher difficulty levels (the last one is called Massacre, not without good reason).
Book od Demons Reveal Trailer YouTube
Book of Demons is available on Steam Early Access! YouTube
Cry Tries Out: Book of Demons YouTube
Rogue - Gameplay Preview YouTube
Book of Demons: Opening Cinematic YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Indie of the Year Awards 2017" Top 10 Winner on Indie DB
- "Official Selection" Intel Buzz Workshop 2017
- "Indie Award Finalist" Momocon 2017
- "Best Game Art" Casual Connect - Tel Aviv 2016
- "Official Selection" Indie Games Polska - Pax West 2016 2016
- "Best Indie Game - 3rd Award" Digital Dragons 2016
- "Indie Basement Finalist" Pixel Heaven 2016
- "Best Game - Jury's Choice" Freegalaktus 2016
- "Book of Demons is bound to entice newcomers to the genre as well as a long time action RPG fans who have been longing for a different kind of dungeon crawler."
- Joey Yee, Gamespot
- "The concept behind the Return 2 Games seven-part retrological makes me want to love it even more."
- Josh Vanderwall, The Escapist
- "I can’t wait to see the final product, play the other classes, and see just how well the core game loop of tackling dungeons with my own deck of cards holds up. I went into Book of Demons with zero expectations except knowing the looks from trailers. I cannot overstate how pleasantly surprised I was to find a full ARPG packed in this neat little $15 package."
- William Murphy, MMORPG.com
Book of Demons - A Year in Early Access
When we launched Book of Demons through Steam Early Access a year ago we had a pretty fixed plan for the future. But what came next was a little unexpected for us... thingtrunk.com.
Major Update - Release of the Rogue class and the Roadmap
With the addition of the final hero to our party, we can begin our march toward the launch. At this point we are freezing feature list, meaning that our urge to include new features will have to be kept under control. thingtrunk.com.
[Xbox Wire] Book of Demons Hacks and Slashes onto Xbox One as a console exclusive
We're proud to announce that Book of Demons, our upcoming deck-building hack and slash where it’s the player who decides the length of quests, will launch on Xbox One as a console exclusive! news.xbox.com.
Revealing your game can be a nightmare - an emotional postmortem of Book of Demons announcement
Imagine for a moment that one day in your life you had an idea. The greatest idea of your life. And then suddenly, after a few years of hard, sometimes impossible work, you realize that you are quite close and you gain confidence in yourself. There’s just one problem – the last obstacle in your way is marketing, something different from the ones you tackled. Something you dreaded for all these years and foolishly hoped it wouldn’t come. It’s just like an almost impossible-to-beat end boss in a game and you just have one heart left… thingtrunk.com.
Return 2 Games Music Theme - Live orchestra on an indie budget
So basically, you pay a 100 bucks, and get a 7 minute professional recording of a live orchestra playing your music. As you can probably guess, we were instantly sold on the idea. We really didn’t know what to expect, but we wanted to try it out. thingtrunk.com.
About Thing Trunk
Thing Trunk is an small game development studio and a creative team behind Book of Demons, the upcoming deck-building hack and slash, where it's the player who decides the length of levels. Thing Trunk is also the team behind Return 2 Games - a series of original mid-core games inspired by the golden days of PC gaming.
More information on Thing Trunk, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Book of Demons Credits
Co-Founder / Producer / Future Sax Virtuoso
Co-Founder / Senior Programmer / Creative Person
Co-Founder / Chief Game Architect / Strategy Overseer
Programmer and Linux enthusiast
Web Developer and the artistic soul of the team
Additional programming and console port fighter
Level content creator. Feeds on functional bugs